Restoring Objects Using the Active Directory Recycle Bin
Just like the Recycle Bin on Windows file system, the Active Directory Recycle Bin is a area where deleted objects are placed.
If the delete was inadvertent or needs to be reversed, a domain admin can simply view the deleted objects container and restore the object.
To use the AD Recycle Bin, the domain must be at the forest functional level of 2008 R2 or higher. You must also first enable the Recycle Bin:
1. Log on to a writeable domain controller.
2. From the Start Menu launch Server Manager.
3. Select Tools and Active Directory Administrative Center.
4. On the left-hand navigation pane select the domain you want to enable Recycle Bin for.
5. On the right-hand Tasks pane, click Enable Recycle Bin.
6. You get a warning that this process is irreversible. Click OK.
7. You get a notification to refresh AD Administrative Center. Click OK and close and reopen ADAC.
8. Browse to an object, right-click it, and select Delete.
9. Click Yes to confirm.
10. Browse to the Deleted Objects container to see the deleted object.
11. Right-click the object in the container and select Restore.